Monday, July 21, 2014

Sweetened Wintermelon or Kundol

As I was wondering in the market one afternoon, thinking hard what to buy for dinner, I came to a shop and immediately saw something I have not seen for quite sometime. I saw wintermelons or what we call kundol, locally. I immediately bought one and went home excited for what I can make out of it.

Wintermelon is a relative of cucumbers, melons, etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_melon). It has hard and fuzzy (covered with hairs) green skin. It has white meat and seeds in the middle. There are a lot of things that can be done with wintermelons. It can be cooked in stews and soups. In Taiwan, they have the wintermelon tea. It can also be made into candies. The only thing I want to make is cooked in syrup.

Ingredients:

1 winter melon
sugar (1kg of sugar to 1 kg of wintermelon)
20 g Lime or apog to 1 kg wintermelon

Cut the wintermelon into bite size pieces. In a plastic container, put enough water to submerge the wintermelon pieces and put the lime in the water. Put a lid on it and soak for about 24 hours.

After 24 hours, rinse the wintermelon thoroughly until the water runs clear. Drain using a colander and set aside until the pieces loses some of the moisture.

In a pot or pan, put the wintermelon and put the sugar. Mix and leave for about 30 minutes before cooking. Put the pan in the stove and turn on the heat. I did not put water in it because I know that there is still water in the wintermelon. The heat and sugar will draw out the water.

Let the syrup boil until all sugar has dissolve. The wintermelon is cooked after 20 mins or so or until the pieces turn a little bit translucent.

Let it cool and store in the refrigerator. Serve with rice cake or as dessert.


Winter melon still in vine (picture source http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/586/566/470/470566586_666.jpg)

I already peeled the skin before I remembered to take the pics

Sliced into bite size

I used a wavy cutter

Lime (calcium hydroxide) or apog




Wintermelon in syrup


No comments:

Post a Comment