Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Bangus en Tocho!

The rainy days are here and a lot of dishes are best eaten on these days. Arrozcaldo, soups, etc. One of the dishes best eaten on rainy days is Tocho. I am not sure why since it is not a soup. I don't know if it's just me but I enjoy eating it more on rainy days with garlic fried rice!

Bangus en Tocho, the recipe I have learned from my mother in law, is an old Filipino dish that has fermented bean curd (tajure) and black beans (although I didn't put black beans in this one). I never saw other fishes prepared this way but I tried galunggong before and it was good also. My mother in law also prepared beef or horse ribs this way but she called the dish "Talunan". So if you also want to try it on meat, you may do so.

Fermented bean curd can be bought in some markets but if you don't see it in one near you, you can make your own. It is very easy to prepare. Just buy a couple of small blocks of firm tofu and just marinade it in soy sauce and black bean for a week or so, turning constantly so that the whole block will ferment evenly. There are also fermented bean curds available in stores that sell Chinese products but they are prepared differently so they might taste different from the one I use so I do not recommend them.

It is important to fry the bangus pieces so that they will not be ruined when simmered. I removed the bones of the bangus since my family do not like to eat bangus with bones.

This dish tastes better when eaten 1-2 days after cooking so prepare it in advance.

Ingredients:
2 large bangus or 3 medium bangus, cut into serving sizes
2 blocks tajure, mashed
2 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 bulb garlic, sliced
1/4 cup vinegar
patis, to taste
groun black pepper
1 tsp sugar
oil for frying

Fry the bangus until the outer crust is formed. Set aside.

Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in pan. Saute the garlic and ginger. Put the mashed tajure, pour the vinegar but do not mix. Let it boil first to cook the vinegar then add 2 cups of water and sugar. Let it boil.

Put the bangus pieces and simmer for 2 minutes. Adjust the taste by adding patis. Add ground black pepper. Remove form heat after a minute. Serve immediately or you can store it in the refrigerator and reheat after 1-2 days.


Home-made fermented bean curd

Not fully fermented yet

Garlic and ginger sliced thinly

Bangus en Tocho

No comments:

Post a Comment